Most Lutheran churches have an education program for middle – high school students called Confirmation. At Grace, the point of our Confirmation program is to offer students worship, education, service, and fellowship experiences designed to encourage them to say YES to the love of God that was promised to them in their baptisms. Students usually begin Confirmation as 7th graders; Confirmation usually includes three years of classes. If necessary, we adjust the program so newcomers can start at any grade.
- 1 Wednesday evening class a week during the school year taught by one of the pastors.
- 2 service projects a year
- Topical classes each year (Topics: Faith and Science, World Religions, Christian Sexual Ethics, Christian Denominations, etc.)
- 16 sermon notes a year
- Participation in 1 week of Confirmation Camp OR on one of our annual Mission Trips.
- Serve once a month or so as an usher, acolyte (candle lighter), or as a member of Altar Guild (do dishes for the Lord's Supper).
The summer before 10th grade, Confirmation students are matched with a mentor. Mentors and students worship and serve together that summer and fall reflecting together about what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. During the fall of 10th grade, Confirmation students spend a Saturday morning with the pastors reviewing their confirmation experience and talking about how they might use their special gifts as a disciple of Jesus. They rehearse the confirmation service, and then spend the afternoon together at lunch and bowling. Good luck trying to beat Pastor Julie! The actual Confirmation service is usually the next day.